Friday, June 16, 2017

war and peace

"So, I've been thinking ..."

"Not again."

"Hear me out. I've been thinking ..."

"Alright. What've you been thinking?"

"Well, in times of peace, we don't notice it --peace, I mean. We don't notice it. In times of peace, we are at war because our bodies are in one place, and our minds take us somewhere else."

"What?"

"Well, you can be in a peaceful place and your mind is thinking about bills or what you said wrong or where you'd rather be and who you'd rather be with ..."

"I know I'd rather be with someone else right now."

"That's what I mean! You could be enjoying yourself. In the greater scheme of things, having a few beers with a friend, it's a pretty peaceful thing."

"Normally, but you're being weird tonight."

"If your mind and body could just settle in together, that's peace. You're at war with yourself when they don't settle in together. And it works opposite during times of war."

"What?"

"During war, you want your body to go one way and your mind to go somewhere else. You don't want your mind dwelling with the body in war. To find peace, your mind has to take a walk somewhere a little less hellish."

"Sorry. Missed all that. My mind took a walk somewhere a little less hellish ..."

"You don't get it."

"Actually, I do. I'm just messing with you. When things are peaceful, hang out in it and notice what's around you. When things are warlike, let your mind go somewhere else. Did I get that right, Tolstoy?"

"Yeah. Pass me another beer, will you ...?"



No comments:

Post a Comment