Friday, March 31, 2017

new endeavors

I love writing and the visual arts, but I have decided to branch out. I have decided to try my hand at music.

Trying new things is necessary. It's what keeps us alert and alive. It feeds the part of us that is curious and likes to see what life can be all about. I want to be alert and alive. I am curious. I do want to see what life can be all about. This is a part of myself I haven't really explored until now.

For those of you who don't know, music runs in my family. No, not the tone deaf side of the family --the other side. My grandmother was a professional musician, playing harp and cello. My father plays bass, piano, organ, and tuba and sings. It was inevitable that a part of me would try to overcome the tone deaf side and make something beautiful for the ears.

I have decided to ease my way into music: a dance remix. That seems to be the way to go, right? Someone else does all the heavy lifting of writing and instrumentation, and I just play with it a bit on my computer. So that's what I've tried ...

John Cage's 4'33" is a favorite. The instrumentation is simple enough that I could grasp it as a novice, and it sounds great! Why not make it a dance track? I'm surprised no one thought of it earlier!

So here it is: my new endeavor. 4'33" (Bookbinder Mix). I hope you enjoy it. I believe it's up to my newly exacting standards (something slightly higher than my caterwauling in the shower but slightly below Mozart). 

Please click on the arrow below and strap on your dancing shoes! And thank you for listening.

















4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's my April Fools joke. I couldn't wait for Pacific Standard Time. Was going to make it a video, but couldn't figure out the technology. Sorry! I love you for trying!

      Delete
  2. 4'33" is 3 movements of rests = silence

    ReplyDelete