Saturday, July 15, 2017

lessons from recent travels


Flight over Baffin Island, Canada
The stones of Castlerigg

I am a very fortunate person --before writing anything else, I should say that. That is not meant in a prideful way. That is meant in a way that I have had an opportunity recently that is special, and I recognize it as such.

I went on vacation.

Not everyone has the opportunity to travel for vacation. It is not something I can make a habit of doing, but I don't regret the time or expense.

The places: Rosslyn Chapel, Alnwick Castle, the Isle of Iona, St. Conan's Kirk, Borrowdale, Arthur's Seat, ...

The people: family, friends, strangers, an owl named Merlin (owls are people, too), ...

The events: visiting a Poison Garden; driving one-lane roads and laughing about flamboyant party turkeys; getting trapped by cows in Northumberland on the way to Hadrian's Wall; living in a converted pub that must have been haunted by someone named Jonathan (it's the only possible explanation as to how we could have lost Scrabble so badly); ...   

I could describe it all, but I wouldn't be able to capture those little moments and surprises in a concise way. I will be using some of it in writing for months to come (oh, so many ideas!) by trying to recall the sensations and looking up the details I can't remember. At the moment, though, I am a bit weepy because I miss it. Words are hard to come by, so pictures ...

Edinburgh through the window

Along the road through Honister Pass

Sunshine in the Highlands

Contemplating philosophy and shiny toes
Everything old is new again
The waters off Fionnphort, Isle of Mull

As it says along the A83, Rest And Be Thankful. I have and I am.  

2 comments: