Monday, November 13, 2017

thoughts for a rainy monday night in the middle of nanowrimo

A little warm up for post-work NaNoWriMo writing. I've come in from the blustery rain and cold and dark, both metaphorically and literally (hello, Seattle in November!), and I'm getting ready to put words on screen. Besides these words, I mean --NaNoWriMo words.

At this point, from what I can see on Twitter, many of the writerly types are into the hard slog portion of the exercise. Second week exhaustion? Is that a thing? It seems to be a thing even if it doesn't have a name.

I am there, too, but I'm an odd sort. I'm used to writing being hard slog --the up side to having written a gazillion reports over the past 15 years when I haven't felt like it and I would rather have been [insert any activity that is even remotely enjoyable here]. I am thankful that my day job involves so much writing and thinking. It's been excellent training.

Keep going. The truth is, this stuff always gets done if you keep at it. Again, 15 years of experience, and I know this to be fact. Keep going. There is room in the exercise to enjoy this, even if it is a sort of masochistic joy. You are creating something from nothing, and it can be whatever you want. Whatever. You. Want. Keep going.

And good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment