Monday, October 24, 2016

desiderata revisited

    I was first introduced to Max Ehrmann's prose poem Desiderata through my friend Les' blog. For some reason, today, I've been thinking about that poem. I've been thinking about it a lot. What else am I going to think about? Politics? The latest fashions? I've had a heck of a day, a day that makes me  ask existentialist questions and not like the answers I'm getting. 

    The prescriptive tone of the poem (all of it is written in directives --do this, do that, etc.) is soothing. The world seems overwhelming sometimes, and the best way to address anxiety is to have simple direction. Desiderata does that. Its counsel is gentle, though. It doesn't judge too harshly.

    I'm not going to reprint it here, as it can be found in many places, including Les' original post (linked above). Instead, I'd like to consider it --look at what it means to me. Meditating on Desiderata beats meditating on today. Trust me: you don't want to read that. So here goes ...


Desiderata Revisited


It's a noisy world.
Stay calm and find peace in silence.
Be yourself --always --and allow others to be themselves.
Listen to anyone with a story to tell who will listen to yours;
Leave those who are too loud to hear you to themselves.
You are no better than anyone else. Be humble.
You are no less important than anyone else. Be assured.
Remember your past fondly;
Look ahead to your future;
And appreciate what you have now,
No matter how insignificant it may seem
Because circumstances are always changing.
In business matters, exercise caution
As money corrupts;
But there is goodness in the world --
Avoid cynicism, because most people
Want to do the right thing.
Never lie about love or affection,
And don't worry: there will always be love.
The years teach you lessons.
Learn them, and carry them with grace.
Don't mourn your youth.
When the storms come, you will be steady;
Don't look for clouds on the horizon
Or fear will leave you tired and weary.
Practice good habits and be patient with yourself.
The Universe is vast and full of ancient things,
And yet, you are a part of it.
There is a place even for you.
You may not understand why;
It is not for you to understand.
Therefore, find your peace
In the midst of it all.
As hard as life can be,
With all that is lost and endured,
The world is full of small treasures.
If you can see them,
That is where you will find your happiness.

I've probably misinterpreted it, but that's okay. I tried my best, and I'm supposed to be patient with myself so that I don't end up giving up. The way I understand the original poem, I do most of this already. That doesn't mean I don't have struggles. I do. But so does everyone else. It's not a competition ( "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself."); life in all its complexity is a shared experience. Desiderata is written to "you", who could be anyone. That's the beauty of it. We're not alone.

Thank you, Les, for introducing me to the poem. You helped me today. I hope you are well, as always. 




2 comments:

  1. well put. for some reason it reminds me of "hey jude".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same sort of counsel for dealing with the world when it's hard. Except less musical.

    ReplyDelete