Monday, June 13, 2016

file under 'will never be published' (no. 5)

file under 'will never be published' (no. 5): 
Extemporaneous 

Background: I am a writing prompt addict. There. I said it again. It's still true. This was written for a contest that my friend Margo found for me. I didn't win --and frankly, I'm not surprised. I wrote it in 15 minutes (yes, I submitted something I wrote in 15 minutes, she admits, blushing at her own hubris ...).  


The process was an interesting one. It's worth trying, if you're up for it:


Start with a blank piece of paper if you're a Luddite, or with a blank screen if you're like the rest of us. Follow your thoughts from, "What am I going to write about?" all the way through to something that has a final form resembling something you would actually show another human being. Write all of these thoughts down --it can be in poetry or prose. It's worth trying, like I said. It's not necessarily worth publishing, however ...

It will never be published for the following reasons: 1) it's experimental; 2) it's poetry; and 3) it ends up as a rhyming poem, the kiss of death.




Extemporaneous


I.


White.

Soundless.

Nothing.
___________.
All the time
That came before –
Now,
Absence.
The mind,
Blank.

II.
All the colors of the room,
All the sounds and smells and faces.
The ambient temperature sours with warmth.
Fill-in-the-blank with quality, not just
Sweat in the armpits of a white tee shirt, yellowing.
All the time that came before, jumbled
And stacked into unrecognizable lumps.
Now.  Absence.  Color.  Sound.  Smell.
Sensory stimuli, overwhelming the mind with
Blank chaos.

III.
A breath.

A blank ________.

IV.
Bronzed.
The crunch of toast.  With cinnamon.  A jaw, chewing.
A cold day, warming with cinnamon toast.
Simple.
All the time that came before
Now leads to this –
The present, a gift.
Presence.
The mind,
A blank etched in bronze.

V.
The present has been bathed in gold
And cinnamon, the warmest spice –
A piece of toast combats the cold
And melts away the soundless ice,
And all the time that came before
Has led to now, a brilliant gift.
A piece of toast, and nothing more,
Allows the mind to swell and drift
And settle into perfect now –
As only golden blanks allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment