Saturday, October 14, 2017

i love words

How do I love words? Let me count the ways ...


I love the sounds in words (alternately, I love that I don't love the sounds in words and that makes me wrinkle my nose up at them).

I love the meanings of words, especially the slippery ones that change depending on who says them and where and in what tone of voice.

I love the intent of words --particularly the words that let us know we are not alone in the world and someone else may share an understanding.

I love that there is a word (silence) that signifies the absence of words. How clever is that?

I love the ingenuity of words, and someday, I will take Noam Chomsky up on his 'Colorless green ideas sleep furiously' challenge.

I love the history of words. Words evolve along with people. Words appear and disappear and change.

I love the variety of words. Some days, I may feel like I drag; other days, I may walk; and still others, I may prance. What a gift we have in choices!

I love the comedy and drama of words --put words together, and they tell a story. 

I love that I can use words to express my love of words, and I love that words --sometimes, when they are feeling awfully kind --love me back.


No comments:

Post a Comment