Thursday, December 29, 2016

one person's trash ...

"...is another person's treasure."

Finishing the cliché for you. That's the thing about clichés: they're annoying, but everyone knows them for a reason. There's an element of truth in them. They are simplistic, which is where people usually have problems with clichés, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater (see what I did there? Yeah ...). Some trash is actually trash --old food that has spoiled & can make you sick if you eat it, for example. But, in a lot of cases, we in the First World miss opportunities because we see things that aren't trash as 'trash'.

A thought popped in my head today, as they often do, & the thought was this:

It takes two hands, 
A vision, & 
Patience
To turn trash 
To treasure.

I think in poems sometimes, which is why I've written it down with strange line breaks. The thought is the same as the cliché, but I was expanding on it. How do some people turn trash to treasure? That's how: work, patience, & an idea. That's it. 

You start with raw material. It might already be fully functional; in that case, it was never trash to start with. It may have been a bit banged up, but that is no reason to throw something away. This goes for any raw material, including human beings & what they have to offer the world. I wonder if I can reuse this soapbox ...? Pretty sure I will.

In other cases, you may have something but you need something else, or you may have something & you need to figure out another way to use it. Here's where you need vision. Here's where you need effort. Here's where you need cardboard.

Yes, cardboard.

I don't want to bore you to tears (too late), so I am including a how-to here. I know! Who knew it would be a twofer??? I did, but you just found out. You're welcome.

I will teach you how to turn this ...

Into this ...

Why? Because I felt like it. I needed a little something pretty in my life because I've been wrestling with sadness a bit these past few days. That's reason enough. If you need something to brighten up your life, you do not need to go out & buy something. 

Let me say that again: if you need something to brighten up your life, you may already have it at hand. Look around you. See things in new ways. This includes all raw materials, including human beings. See? I knew I had another use for that soapbox!

So here are the steps:
1. Open up the box. See what's inside. A lot of cardboard, that's what. What a wonderful resource!

2. Draw circles on it of different sizes, & draw lines so you'll know where to put petals. I winged it because I'm a pantser most of the time; if this causes you anxiety, be precise. There is no one way to do this. It's whatever works for you, & that goes for everything in life. It takes all types.


3. Cut them out --first the circles, then the petals. This can be tedious or soothing, depending how you look at it. It's all in your attitude. I have a hard time with this part because I want them READY NOW! I need to work on patience. This helps.

4. Put them together. I had embroidery floss (yes, I'm one of those people --it's because I try a lot of stuff, so I have things like that lying around). Use what you have. What can hold these pieces together? Be creative! Anxious, precise people: it's okay. You can try something, & if it doesn't work, try something else. It's okay. There is more than one answer here, & it's just cardboard flowers. It's okay. You are working on the executive function of mental flexibility!

5. Enjoy them. Share them. Do whatever you want with them! You made them. There is something satisfying in that: you made them. And you'll notice an extra guy snuck ...sneaked ...snuck? Anyway, an extra guy joined his friends. When you start to try things, & be brave with what you have, it's funny how that seems to spread, & new, unforeseen benefits sneak in (much easier to use that verb in the present tense!).

I stole this idea. It is done in Mexico with tin cans. Again, use what you have. And pay attention when other people do things you like. Ask people about their talents & skills --we all know things other people don't know. It builds community & makes us wiser. I should have used a prettier box, but it's what I had, & that's okay.

In the New Year, here's hoping you can look around you & see all of the treasure life has given you. There is some trash that is truly trash, but for the most part, there are treasures to see, if you look.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment