Saturday, December 10, 2016

the twitter collection

Everyone who loves Twitter, raise your hand!

*looks around the room, sees only my own hand raised*

Good enough ...

If you are reading this, you are more than likely a writer. I tend to hang with writerly-type folks, who are generally also readerly-type folks. I can't imagine else would want to read my blog, so you must be a writer, reader. Right? Raise your hand if you could follow that.

*looks around the room, sees only my own hand raised*

Good enough ...

My job today is to convince you of something that I've had to convince myself of: using Twitter is, technically, writing. Since I am generally argumentative and unpleasant, I did talk myself into it eventually, if only to get myself to shut up.

Now, I'm going to talk you into it. Why? I feel like writing something random. That, and I'm tired of seeing Twitter guilt (definition: the guilt you feel when you log onto the computer to write, and two hours later, you are still goofing around ...) from writers when I've seen the good things Twitter brings --you are writing. Please hear me out. Remember: I'm generally argumentative and unpleasant. It's best to get it over with.

I have written at length about the social benefits of Twitter in a post written in July entitled, "Strange Praise for Twitter". I believe it is also a useful tool in inspiring creativity. 

The artistic community on Twitter is second-to-none. There is something to be said for hanging around creative types. It makes you more creative, makes you more willing to try things, gives you ideas to expand on, etc. Twitter gives you the added bonus of being able to be anywhere --and I do mean anywhere --and you can access people who inspire you. You can try out whatever moves you artistically, and you can receive immediate feedback. It's collaborative. In short, it's hella marvelous for all artists, including writers!

In my real life, I have friends and I have family. What I was lacking before Twitter was people who understand me. The people in my real life love me, but when I get excited about a piece of art I see or a poem I read or an idea I have, they humor me. Due to "life choices", seeking out creative communities in real life was never going to happen, but on Twitter, I've found a group of people who understand that excitement about art and sometimes join in. As someone prone to some pretty major depression, that sense of being understood and being part of a community of likeminded individuals has been invaluable.

But I digress. Twitter as a creative tool. To prove my point, I've collected a few tweets (what the 140 character postings are called for non-Twitter users) that I do not hate that I've written. So what? Well, the 'so what?' is that these creative attempts probably would never have happened had it not been for Twitter and the collection of people on it. If you are a writer on Twitter, be sure to go back and look at what you've tweeted --chances are there are ideas that can be expanded or used. You will be amazed at what you find. Twitter is writing.

So here goes. All of them are copyright me, but Twitter is responsible for them. Thanks, guys.


In modern times, it's de rigueur To say your work's professional; I'll say it, though -mine's amateur & overly confessional.


we were unaware
a collection of habits substitute for life


all anger, no aim - shooting blanks at targets to hear the hollow bang


"Don't you remember?" "No." "How could you forget an orangutan playing the violin???" "Maybe he wasn't very good."



" ...so, in the end, all you're left with is an inflatable alligator, a credit card bill past due, & regret. Drink?"


I tried to pull myself up by my bootstraps, but I couldn't afford boots or straps. I floundered in my flip-flops instead.



I feel a tiny bit loose Drank wine, the color was puce Both purple & brown Made me smile not frown Hey! I thought it was juice!



Word of the day 'apologia' is an apology that's been writ - But unless followed up by action, I'm afraid it's not worth ...much.


Those were inspired by conversations with friends, #artwiculate, #1linewed, and #haikuchallenge. If you head onto Twitter and are a writer, be sure to check out those hashtags (no, those are not number signs --those are hashtags!). And I'm curious: how did you find your creative community?

3 comments:

  1. I've always felt that Twitter is writing. At the very least, it is great for training yourself to make the most of every word in a sentence. Twitter is also the place where, for some reason, I write my most humorous stuff, and writing humor is hard, for me at least

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I don't think I'm funny, but I have a decent sense of humor -Twitter's a great forum to try to be funny (& fail often & well, if you're me!). And I totally agree about making every word count. Economy of expression. 140 characters or bust!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo Bookbinder.I love the creativity on here. Still waiting to deliver a line that I can be proud to hold up but maybe one day............
    Keep up your good work.

    I love you from a distance. x

    ReplyDelete