Friday, December 16, 2016

things I took for granted today

Things I took for granted today: a list

1. I woke up in a bed with a roof over my head.

2. I woke up at 5:30 AM with my alarm but stayed in bed for a few extra minutes because it was warm. I knew I could do this without being late for work.

3. My son has learned how to use an alarm clock and woke himself up independently. This is a newly-learned skill he is interested in doing (???).

4. There was food to eat for breakfast.

5. There was coffee.

6. There was coffee. It bears saying twice!

7. People on Twitter said good morning. It's good to have friends.

8. My place of work is within walking distance of my home. It is in a neighborhood with a low rate of crime and adequate sidewalks.

9. My place of work is the same place my son attends school. I can drop him off for before school care at the same time as I go to work. I know that the day care is safe and clean. I know the people there take care of him.

10. My place of work is safe and clean. The people who work there are friendly and caring.

11. There were enough snacks in my place of work that my lunch was essentially provided from leftovers. These were brought in by coworkers.

12. I could work an 8-hour work day. I only have to have one job in order to make enough to live on.

13. It is Friday and I have a day off tomorrow. I am only required to work five days a week (although I often work more), for fewer than eight hours a day (although I often work more).

14. I could leave work before it got dark. I could walk home with my son.

15. There was food to eat for dinner.

16. I have running water.

17. I have plumbing that functions.

18. I have electricity.

19. I have the Internet. That's how I talked to people on Twitter this morning.

20. My family is doing well. Family members I've been worried about are doing well.

21. I do not live in a war zone, either literal or metaphorical.

22. I've survived to the age of 43.

23. I ate some cookies.

24. I walked on both of my legs. They work.

25. I am relatively pain free.


This list is not comprehensive. I've forgotten things I should be grateful for. I take it for granted that there will be things I forget to remember.

Have a wonderful rest of your day. What did you take for granted today?

No comments:

Post a Comment