Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Dear Writers, Why Do We Write?: The Revenge

" ...Maybe writing is a sort of really cheap drug that doesn’t actually get you high." -Dave Koster

Last night, a few of us on Twitter were trying to figure out what drives people to Write (capital W because everyone literate writes, but Writing is a far different animal). 

Dave Koster came up with several excellent observations last night and collected them in his blog post, "Dear Writers, Why Do We Write?"

I'm carrying on the tradition tonight with a not-exactly-a-response, not-exactly-a-sequel blog post for two reasons: it's a great question; I'd like to add to the canon; and I need something to write about tonight. Yes, I know. I write. I don't math.

There is something very special about having an idea and bringing it into the world. There is something very special about having an idea, full stop. And how do we share these things? We can share in different ways, but I talk about them.

That's what writing is for me: talking about ideas. Sometimes, the idea is about sounds and phrases. That's poetry. Sometimes, the idea is about people and their experiences. That's stories. Writing is giving the poetry and stories a physical form. It's still talking, though --one person giving their words to another person, with the hope the other person will understand and make the words mean even more.

Writing also helps me process the world. Kind of like Dave Koster's cheap drug, I need something to filter the world around me because, sometimes, it's too hard and complicated. There's a lot I don't understand. I try to. I want to. But I don't. That's when I turn to writing. It doesn't get me high --Dave's right. It makes things clearer or at least less fuzzy.   

And writing is cheap. Cheap? Heck, writing is free! A lot less expensive than painting, I'll tell you that.

So enjoy your cheap drug, if you're a writer. I'd love to hear why other people write. I'd love the sequel to this sequel ("Dear Writers, Why Do We Write? III"!). A request: make it closer to Dave's original post with actual life experiences. I've gone and gotten philosophical without adding personal details. Telling and not showing --the kiss of death in writing. 

Guess I should start on the follow-up post now ... 

"Dear Editors, Why Do We Edit?"

No comments:

Post a Comment