Saturday, May 27, 2017

dear cassandra levesque

For background, please read this New York Times article detailing the state of the legal age of marriage in different states in the U.S.

Dear Cassandra Levesque:


You don't know me, but I am an adult who recently read of your attempt to change the age at which individuals can get married in the state of New Hampshire. I am writing to applaud your sense of civic responsibility and the effort it must have taken to get the bill introduced.

Many times, older people --you were very young at 16! --misunderstand what kids are about these days. We think you're all selfish and glued to your iPhones. You have proven us wrong, and thank you for that.

I would like to encourage you to keep going, despite the shortsightedness of your legislature. Adults don't like to admit this can happen very often, but you are right and the adults responsible for the laws of your state are wrong. 

How can a kid be right when you're just a kid? Because you are speaking up for yourself. Not only are you speaking up for yourself, you are doing it in a way that helps other people your same age, including some who may not be able to speak up for themselves. You are doing it in a way that operates within the law. It was very clever, actually, and shame on them for discouraging someone like you (they may have tried, but I seriously doubt they could!).

I would like to encourage you to keep going. Please consider going into politics or doing something related to law when you are of a legal age to do so. You've got your heart in the right place, and we need that. 

Thank you for trying. You are a role model for adults across this country. I wish more of us would be like you.


Update 6/4/2017: Your mother told me you'll be going to school to become an elementary teacher (because you're 18 --must work on my fact-checking!) and will continue your advocacy for children. Best news I've had all day! Please see below.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Agnes,
    I am Cassandra's Mom and I will make sure that your post is seen by her. I thank you for your post, as its wonderful. One slight correction, Cassandra, or Cassie as we call her started her advocacy when she was 16, she has recently turned 18 and will be graduating from High School this week. Cassie has plans to be an Elementary School teacher, she will continue to fight to get the law changed and she is also applying to be on a Legislative Advisory council who review laws that apply to Children in our state and she will continue the fight to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. Thank you again for your support and kind words.

    Mrs. Patricia Levesque
    New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Red-faced. I'll correct the age, but no way I'm changing the message. : )

      Glad to hear 1) she'll become a teacher and 2) she'll try again. It's a gift to know where your talents lie at that age.

      Best to you both.
      A.

      Delete