Saturday, May 6, 2017

the latest trend

I did something the other day I haven't done in a long time: I actually read a fashion trend article. In summary, they usually tell you what the things are to look for in clothing and accessories during the coming season ('season' meaning fashion season --think fall/winter & spring/summer).

Some people make a living predicting trends, and some people make  a living reporting what the predictors predict. The rest of us see the results oftentimes in what is available for purchase during a particular season and year.

At my age (and I'm not that old), I don't pay attention to this stuff anymore, unless I see something that interests me. I know what I like. I know I won't be able to get it every season, if it is not a trend. That's okay, because I make my clothes last across seasons and years.

Here is how a trend works:

A style setter (usually someone famous) begins a trend. Let's say actress X, known for her cutting edge style, is having pea soup one day. Whoops! A mishap! The pea soup has splattered down the front of her blouse! What to do???

Wear it proudly. That's what. There are no mistakes when someone is popular. She meant to do it, surely?

Others take notice because she's a trendsetter.

"Did you see what she was wearing? How bold!"

Trend forecasts proclaim that, this season, the color Pea Green is all the rage and splatters à la Jackson Pollock will be seen from sea to shining sea.

Millions will be "accidentally" spilling pea soup on themselves, as well, because it is fashionable.

After a while, people will realize that pea soup tastes better than it feels drenching their clothing. A new trend will begin, and the world will move on. In a few years, the trend will be referred back to with ironic disdain and no one will remember how it started. Then, a few years after that, it may be revived nostalgically.

We don't have to follow trends, though (except that that's all that may be available to buy because retailers DO follow trends). 

I have a friend, Melissa, who makes my knitwear to order --excellent quality, and I get exactly what I want. I go to secondhand stores, if I need something. I have friends who make their own clothes, and I alter things to my liking. I hardly ever buy clothes, and I stick with what works. Maybe there's something new that I like, but that's a choice. I don't have to do anything.  

The latest trend should be whatever you like and whatever makes you happy. Make it last. That's the best fashion of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment