Friday, November 25, 2016

cookies




I felt like baking cookies today. I actually felt like making them yesterday, but I never got around to it because I did a couple of Chewbacca drawings. What? Doesn't that happen to you? If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted from cooking on Thanksgiving by Chewbacca, I'd have ...well, I'd have a dollar. Better than nothing.

Right. I love cookies. Most people love cookies. I'd like to think all people love cookies, but there might be a few (unusual) people out there who don't. To them, I say, I'm sure you're very nice, but this might not be the blog post for you. Come back for the one I'm going to write after this about Black Friday.

For those of you who love cookies, I'll share my recipe with you. It's modified from another recipe which involves fancy stuff. I don't do fancy stuff. Fancy stuff is expensive -not how I roll. Since it's Black Friday, and since I take that to mean I should buy absolutely nothing unnecessary today because forget that, if I don't have it already in my kitchen, it ain't happening. Cookies are supposed to be about enjoyment --going broke buying fancy stuff is not enjoyable.

So, cookies!



Like I said, use what you have. 'Tis the season to have canned pumpkin (& it's on sale!), so guess what I used. Yes. Pumpkin. Also, peanut butter because it's peanut butter & oatmeal because why not?

Ingredients:
1/4 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. + 2 Tbsp. canned pumpkin
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
3/4 c. oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
salt -a bit for flavor
vanilla extract -a bit for flavor
spices -cinnamon, stuff like that ...
add other stuff like chocolate chips or nuts or fruit or whatever you have

350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius for 10-12 minutes. Let them rest for about 10 minutes before eating, and there you go.

The original recipe called for coconut oil --2 Tablespoons of it --but I didn't have any, and pumpkin is an excellent oil or butter substitute anyway. Same goes for the cornstarch --the original recipe called for arrowroot powder, which I don't just have lying around. If you're allergic to peanut butter, maybe try another nut butter? Use what you have. By the way, this is my theme when it comes to cooking blog posts --and life. Use what you have, and don't feel bad about doing that.

No guilt: this recipe is vegan, gluten-free, inexpensive, and cookies. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. might just have to macgyver myself some cookies tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you MacGyvered those cookies real good-like, Melina!

    ReplyDelete