Saturday, November 12, 2016

needing dough




Now busting into the world of cooking blogs because ...uh, I'm cooking and I feel like it? That's okay, isn't it? Nowadays, I feel like I have to check and double-check that everything's okay. That'd be the anxiety talking. I'm cooking now to try to get it to shut up.

Another source of anxiety for many people (you know, besides the state of politics and the world) is finances. I have learned to cook on a budget over the years. This has been a great help in saving money and, thus, allows me to feel more secure about finances in general. Plus it's fun. Plus I get to eat it!

So, tonight on the menu: pizza! It is (according to Twitter) National Pizza Day. According to me, every day should be National Pizza Day. I make it from scratch. It's not a perfect recipe --like I said, I try to operate on a budget. When you lack 'dough' (slang for money), making your own food can be more economical. Here is what I am about to combine in my bowl:

3 c. flour (you can add some whole wheat flour, if you're into that and have it --on a budget means you use what you have)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fast-rising yeast
2 Tbsp. olive oil
sprinkle in a little sugar to keep the yeasties happy
roughly 1 1/4 c. warm water


That's it. No, really. If you're like me, part of the relaxation comes from knowing I can throw it together really quickly. No, really. I get the added benefit of the sensory act of kneading the dough and relaxing as I squish my fingers into it. The homophone is not lost on me. I need the dough --I have been feeling very anxious. I need to knead.

So, once you've thrown that together and it has the texture of slightly sticking to your fingers, cover it and leave it alone for a couple of hours (best in a warm place). Let the yeast do some of the work for you. Kick back, relax, read a book --you won't ruin it if you leave it for an hour extra. It smells great while you're waiting. What perfume is more delicious than dough rising? 

Once it's ready, throw it on a sheet pan or a pizza stone or whatever you have. Preheat the oven to whatever your highest heat setting is --it'll heat up the kitchen, which is great this time of year. Then throw whatever you want out of whatever you have on top. I've made everything from traditional red sauce & cheese to olive oil & whatever's in the fridge. It all works, and the crust makes it special. Oh yeah, cook it for around 10 minutes. Don't set your house on fire --you'll have to pay attention during that part!

If you can't use it right away, freeze it in a freezer safe bag. Take it out the morning you want to use it and let it defrost. It'll be ready by dinner time. You can use some of it and freeze some of it. Whatever means you'll use all of it is what's economical, and it's tasty in any of those permutations.

And if you want to use it to make bread or breadsticks instead of pizza? You're dead to me! Just kidding. Whatever works for you.

It's vegan friendly, but if you are gluten intolerant, this recipe is not for you, and I apologize. You probably already have a good recipe for GF dough you could share since you all have to make everything you eat anyway, it seems! I'd love it if you'd share. And speaking of sharing (tangent), food is a great way to bring people together. If you make some food, share it with your family, your friends, or a neighbor. Food is a great way to build bridges between people and to help us feel less anxious about each other.

Because these days, we truly need something that helps us cope. We need dough.


No comments:

Post a Comment