Wednesday, November 9, 2016

post-election playlist

In trying to cope to the outcome of yesterday's US Presidential election, I turn to an old friend: music. 

It is difficult to think about world events with KC & the Sunshine Band singing, "Shake shake shake ...shake shake shake ...shake your booty," in your ear. I've tried. You can't. 

Similarly, one cannot contemplate what seems to be evidence of man's inhumanity to man while Sia serenades you with "Come on, come on, turn the radio on ...". If you can, you are, in fact, inhuman.

So songs that will save us from what's happened and what's coming:

1. KC & the Sunshine Band, "Shake Shake Shake"
2. Sia, "Cheap Thrills" (especially the one featuring Sean Paul)
3. Ludwig van Beethoven, Symphony No. 9 "Ode To Joy"
4. The Dandy Warhols, "Bohemian Like You"
5. The Pixies, "Here Comes Your Man"
6. De Staat, "Sweatshop"
7. Kate Tempest, "The Beigeness" (autocorrect wants to turn that into Beignets!)
8. Mark Ronson, "Uptown Funk"
9. Johnny Cash, "Cocaine Blues"
10. LL Cool J, "Mama Said Knock You Out"

I don't tend to go too pretty when I'm as worked up as I got over the past 24 hours. I tend to lean into it and accept that I'll be calm later.

What do you have on your playlist? Because we're going to need all the music we can get ...

Or do you have something else that helps you cope?

I'd love ideas. It's quite a time to be alive.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment