Friday, February 24, 2017

ten random facts

My friend Alex had me read a blog the other day because he stole a line from Olivia Newton-John and used it for his own nefarious purposes. I had asked if anyone had ever changed "Let's Get Physical" into "Let's Get Cynical"; he had.

The line made it into the number 20 spot on a list of random facts about Alex. Since he stole from Olivia Newton-John, I am exacting revenge and stealing the random fact idea from him. Don't worry. Olivia gets her cut --50%, to be precise. That's why I'm only doing 10 random facts instead of Alex's 20. And, in fairness, I think Mollie (a Twitter friend) asked him to do it, so it was really her idea anyway.

Before you ask, no, I am not a complete narcissist. I am doing this to write something --anything --before I start "writing". It's a warm-up.

Random facts are easy. About me? Um, okay. I can do this ...

1. I write because I can't not write. I have a compulsive personality. This hopefully explains writing down 10 random facts and delivering them to the Interweb. 

2. I went to college with my doppelgänger as an undergraduate, so we have met (and are friends), and the Universe did not shatter.

3. I never took an art class in school. At that time, I believed that I was supposed to concentrate on courses that might eventually lead to a job plus art supplies were expensive. I was young --what can I say?

4. I was obsessed with Flannery O'Connor, Oscar Wilde, and Edgar Allen Poe in high school.

5. I am writing this in front of a fireplace because I have trouble regulating my body temperature and frequently feel cold.

6. I actually enjoyed that Pineapple Pen song from YouTube. Just because you like filet mignon doesn't mean you can't enjoy mac & cheese.

7. I am vaguely weirded out that all of these sentences begin with the word "I" for two reasons: 1) readers can get sick of the same sentence structure over and over; and 2) it's not all about me, and I know this.

8. I am terrified of thunderstorms, balloons, and anything that makes sudden, loud, low-frequency noises. I have recently started becoming nervous around bubblewrap. This sounds like a joke, but it's not. It's an anxiety disorder.

9. I would love to visit Japan someday. I have a great affinity for many aspects of Japanese culture.

And ...

10. I am a natural cynic (in tribute to Alex's original post which prompted this one). I am extremely cynical. I have had to teach myself to give people the benefit of the doubt, and it has made me a better person, I think.



And that's enough of that. Thank you to Alex, Mollie, and above all, Olivia Newton-John, who is out there somewhere on the series of small tubes (aka the Internet) telling 10 facts about herself. See if you can find them ...

Maybe try a few yourself? And, as always, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment