Wednesday, February 22, 2017

happy birthday, vincent

Edna St. Vincent Millay is one of those people you read about and you think, "I wish I were that interesting ...". 

It is the anniversary of her birth today. 

A little background: she was born in 1892. Think about what was acceptable for women at that time. The expectation was be ladylike, get married, have children, and that was about it. She was raised by a divorced mother. She began writing and submitting poetry for publication around age 14. She endeavored to be a writer and make her own way in the world. It wasn't that she came from money --she didn't. That makes her adult life even more interesting. It's easy to push the limits of what's possible when you have a safety net. She lived without one and still walked the high wire.

One of her most famous poems --a very short one --is entitled "First Fig". Here it is in its entirety:

“My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!”

Those few short lines are a good summary of her life philosophy. 

A few years ago, I answered her poem with a tongue-in-cheek, "Second Fig". Part of me regrets that (I'll attach it below anyway, and you can be the judge). Living with the kind of passion and defiance described in "First Fig" is nothing to mock. It's something to be admired.

If you have time, check out her writing. As a poet, she uses words carefully and well. All of them burn, but they are not a difficult read. She expresses ideas clearly but doesn't sacrifice the beauty of poetic language. It's a perfect way to celebrate a great writer and an inspirational woman. Happy birthday, Vincent.

--





And here is the sensible alternative, "Second Fig". Should we be sensible? I don't know. Hers sounds like more fun ...

In response to Miss Millay;
I say not as foe, but friend;
Your light can shine another day –
Choose, and burn one end.




No comments:

Post a Comment