Saturday, February 18, 2017

when it clicks (happy uplifting blog post)

Have you ever wanted to do Something and you don't know how? You try and it's all vague and foggy and doesn't turn out the way you want at all?

Stick with me. It gets better ...

You try again. You look for ways to do your Something when you can figure out where to look. 

You ask people for help with your Something. You forget what they told you because you have to remember so many other things that need remembered. You remember maybe one thing out of twenty things the people told you, and you try that one thing. It doesn't quite end up the way you hoped, though. Have you ever had that feeling?

Seriously, hang in there. The good stuff is coming ...

You try again, and the Something gets a little bit better, a little bit easier. Then, life decides you're trying too hard and gives you other things to do. Or the world takes over and you find yourself fighting to get out of bed. All of the work you did on your Something fades back into chaos.

Come on. You can do it. I promise -this blog post does not have many words. A few more, and they're good. It's worth it.

You try again. Maybe someone noticed and helped you make a concrete step towards your Something, whatever that is. Maybe you received the gift of time and energy. You try again and ...

It clicks. That Something you wanted, it clicks. It's close enough to what you wanted that it counts. The funny thing is, it all counts. Everything that came before the click? It's what got you to the click, so it all counts.

My Something (learning how to make art on a computer) clicked yesterday. It's been something I have wanted to learn. Am I perfect at it? No. Am I seriously impressed that I made that? It's as close to what I've had in my mind as I've ever come, and I love it.

My Something was helped along by many people, and one in particular (hey, Aaron!), gave me access to materials I didn't have access to before. My friend Deb gave me access to materials when I was trying to learn how to art not on a computer before (art is a verb now -I've decided), and that helped, too. That support made all the difference, and my Something would still be a source of frustration rather than a source of joy, if it hadn't been for them.

If you have a Something, be it creative or altruistic or personal, keep at it. If you know someone who has a Something they're having trouble achieving and you're in a position to help concretely, help them out. Thank you for reading to the end of this blog post -sometimes you have to wait for the happiness, but it's there if you stick with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment